CJDavis and I were at the hive until about 1:20 am this morning working on finishing up a second strand of LED lights for the Glass Block Matrix LED Display.
In this image we are diffusing the LED’s with a sheet of paper towel which causes a nice soft glow, however it greatly reduces the brightness. Therefore we are leaving the paper towels off even though they make for a great picture and viewing experience from inside the bathroom.
We have had some technical issues with both the RGB LEDs and the wiring system we are using. A good amount of the LED’s seem to have an issue where they will turn on even when the anode wire is not connected to anything. We are talking nothing, like it is just soldered into a proto-board. Current speculation is that either the LED’s are bad or the proto-boards are bad.
Another problem we have been having is that originally we were using Cat-5 to wire up each anode for the 8 LED’s in a column, however the current in the twisted pairs was enough to induce a current in the second pair causing issues with LEDs coming on when they are not supposed to. This is a fairly limited problem so far as the LEDs only glow faintly. In any case we are altering how we wire up future anodes.
Sunday December 20th is Arcade Night. This is were anybody who is interested in fixing up arcade machines or building your own game system or augmented reality game should come and collaborate! Starting at 5pm on Sunday show up to help out or start your own project. We will be fixing up several standup cabinets as well as the rather large arcade units.
Note: This is not a night to play arcade games but to build/refurbish them. Although we will always need to test our final products, of course…
I had some spare time down at the hive last night so I finished assembling the framework for the RGB Glass Block Matrix display. The next step is going to be to mark out where to drill the holes for the LED.
After that is done we can start soldering up the LEDs.
A few of our members stopped up at the UC surplus sale on saturday and picked up a couple of largeish projectors. One of them had a working bulb and a bad powersupply ($25), the other had a bad bulb ($50).
After moving the bulb from the projector with a bad powersupply to the projector that just had a bad bulb we discovered that we now had a very nice working projector.
This should provide a nice start for our Laser Graffitti projects, also, we still have the other projector that needs a new powersupply but could serve as the base for testing more powerful light sources.